A compote is any fruit which is cooked in sugar syrup. The syrup may be seasoned with vanilla, lemon or orange zest, cinnamon.
Keep in mind we are not adding any preservatives and hence shelf life is less. Its very healthier version of the jam. Use any seasonal fruit. You can using this for cake toppings, tarts, inside the cupcakes or even like a jam. I am sure the kids or the eleders will love this.
What did I do with this compote? I used half of this and stuffed into the strawberry cup cake and some on the strawberry cake. When we ate the cup cake, the first bite was plain and as we reached a bit down the cup cake we got the compote that I had stuffed in. It was yummy and tasted really nice J. Will be posting soon the recipes for the cup cake and strawberry cake.
300 gms of fresh strawberries, washed, stem removed,
4 tsp of sugar & A pinch of vanilla
· Chop the strawberries into small chunks.
· Use a pan and add in the chopped strawberries, sugar and mix well.
· Let this cook gently, reduce the flame to low and stir occasionally
· Fruits with high water content release their water on heating, hence there is no need to add additional water. But if it starts to stick at the bottom of the pan, add a tbsp of water.
· Once the strawberries have softened, remove from fire and allow it to cool.
· Pour it into a bottle and store in the refrigerator.